PE and Sport Premium
At Devonshire we promote the well-being of all our pupils through supporting children’s understanding of the importance of a healthy lifestyle. It is our aim that all children leave our school physically literate, that they enjoy participating in at least one physical activity and they have had the opportunity to experience positive memorable and meaningful physical activities.
PE at Devonshire will develop the whole child including attitudes to learning. Our work will give each pupil equal opportunities to experience success and failure, so they can develop skills for life such as perseverance. Throughout all of our teaching we aim to develop physical skills and a positive attitude towards physical activity so pupils develop a life-long passion for physical activity and a healthy lifestyle
In 2013 the Government provided additional funding of £150 million per annum. The funding will continue to 2020, and should be used to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport – is allocated to primary school headteachers. It is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools. It is expected that schools will see an improvement against the following five key indicators:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles.
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement.
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport.
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
- Increased participation in competitive sport.